History of Saint Michael & All Angels Episcopal Church

Visiting Episcopal priests conducted services in homes and at various Sanibel Island locations until the 1950's when the closest Episcopal services were at St. Luke’s in Fort Myers.  

In 1957 islanders asked St. Luke’s for help establishing services on Sanibel in the winter months. Thomas Madden, on leave to St. Luke’s, obliged and on February 6, 1958 he started celebrating services at various Island locations. In September St. Michael & All Angels became a Mission of the Diocese of South Florida and in June started two Sunday Schools, one for white children, one for blacks. The ECW organized fund raisers and in 1960 opened a thrift shop on a hotel porch. Meanwhile Fr. Madden's Eucharistic services with traditional liturgy and quality music formed a foundation still practiced today.

Architect Gustel Kiewitt contributed architectural services for a church building which was completed Palm Sunday, 1961. It included a small apartment for the Vicar. September, 1962, Fr. Madden made Saint Michael’s the first church in the diocese and one of the first in Florida to be racially integrated. He retired in 1971 and Fr. James Hubbs became Vicar. In 1974 the resale shop, now called Noah’s Ark, was expanded and parishioners' persistence paid off when Saint Michael’s was granted status as a self-sustaining parish. Four years later a Parish Hall was added followed by a new pipe organ. The new Book of Common Prayer came into use and lay men and women became scripture readers and Lay Eucharistic Ministers.

Fr. Hubbs left in 1986 and Fr. Bill Dodd was called. He and his family moved into the newly purchased rectory.  A capital campaign enabled expanding worship space, cutting a road to relieve traffic congestion, creating a new Noah’s Ark building which was expanded five years later, and the purchase of a new organ. In 1993 a Columbarium and Memorial Garden were added and the ECW crafted needlepoint altar rail cushions. Saint Michael’s helped lead development of subsidized housing on Sanibel, and the establishment of Iona Hope Mission in Fort Myers. Fr. Dodd retired in 1999 and Fr. Purvis was made Interim Priest. The greeters program was established at this time.

Donald Fishburne started January, 2001. He focused on more lay participation and organized the Church into a system of commissions, one being Parish Growth which included the Greeter’s Ministry and Suppers For Six to help parishioners become better acquainted with one another. Rev. Suzy Post was employed as Associate Rector from 2002-2007. In 2003 the Flower Guild, the first in the Diocese, and Adult Forums, which included interfaith studies, were started. Blessing of the Animals began and further facility improvements were made. An Outreach Commission, supplementing the work of Noah’s Ark, undertook a Habitat home building project, and a Men’s Ministry embracing bi-weekly meetings and an annual retreat were established in 2005. A church bus to bring Shell Point residents to services was contributed, an annual newcomers event was established and lay led Wednesday evening services were started. The stewardship campaign was shifted to January when snowbirds returned and neighborhood meetings were started. In 2006 the first Parish Nurse was employed and visiting theologians from Great Britain lived in the church apartment and enriched Church programs.  In 2008 Fr. Fishburne resigned.

The Rev. Dr. Ellen M. Sloan was called to St. Michael's in 2009. She focused on congregational development, strengthened pastoral care, and created a holistic approach to the understanding of the extensive outreach efforts of the parish - also increasing the line item budget for Outreach Grants to $60,000.  Youth Ministries were started, including overnight retreats, scripture discussions, trips to the annual Diocesan Acolyte Festival, and more. She initiated a Vacation Bible School which began in the summer of 2017. Youth and Sunday School children are part of the Sunday procession as crucifers and torchbearers and serve at the altar in various capacities. She also encouraged young families to serve as ushers and greeters with their children.  

Rev. Sloan initiated a Strategic Planning Process for the parish in 2015/16 which resulted in Vision and Mission Statements, as well as in Core Belief Principles. The Vestry was proud to complete all action items in the subsequent three to four years. Ellen was also instrumental in securing significant financial donations and the following funds were created: Renovation and Renewal of the Campus, Catastrophic and Renewal, Spiritual Development, Beautification of the Campus, and Outside Music Musicians and Concerts. The donation to the Renovation and Renewal Fund resulted in the major renovation of the Sacristy, Sunday School, Madden Room, Flower Guild Room, restrooms and Gathering Place - completed and dedicated in 2017. Another fund is being used currently to build a new office building. 

During her tenure, along with the History and Archives Ministry, Ellen encouraged the establishment of an annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Event - now in its fifth season. She expanded the Healing Ministry at St. Michael’s and brought back Morning Prayer. She created a Taize service once a month, a Sacred Dancers Ministry, Women at the Well Spirituality Group, Beach Eucharists, and an annual series of lectures and concerts called "Nourishment of Body, Mind and Spirit.”  

After ten years as Rector of St. Michael’s, Ellen resigned in September 2019 to spend more time with family. 

 

Churchframework

 

Constructionandsky2

 

BestChurchshot

 

Church Now

 

SMAA Street Sign